- Packed with protein and drizzles with zesty lemon glaze, this blueberry coffee cake is the perfect way to wow your guests!
- If needed, xanthan gum can be replaced with chia seeds and water, or cornstarch.
Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup Solgar Whey to Go strawberry protein powder
- ½ cup gluten-free 1:1 baking mix
- ½ cup garbanzo & fava flour
- ⅔ cup unrefined granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup organic canola oil
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup hot water
- ½ cup dry blueberries
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 1 fresh lemon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place parchment down in an 8”x8” square pan and lightly oil.
- Combine Whey to Go, 1-to-1 baking mix, fava flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt, xanthan gum; mix well for 1 min.
- Add to this the water, oil, vanilla, and applesauce and mix for 2 minutes. Fold in the dry blueberries. Pour this batter into the pan and set aside.
- Combine crumb-topping ingredients and mix well until fully combined. Add to the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for about 40 min, or until done. Cool at room temperature.
- In a separate bowl combine lemon glaze ingredients and mix well. Once the coffee cake is completely cool, drizzle lemon glaze on top.
- Refrigerate bars for 30 minutes before cutting. Store in the fridge wrapped for up to 5 days.